Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Ignorance is not bliss

Even after everything I have been through, I still manage to hear my friends say "I've never had a Pap Smear" or "I'm over due".  Its not just one person either, there are many people.  They say they don't have time, or can't be bothered among many other excuses.  Yet somehow they still have time to have beauty treatments, go shopping, see the hairdressers etc.  Have they not been listening to me for the past few months ? Have they not realised that having a Pap Smear is what saved me and how lucky I am that I bit the bullet and went for mine which was overdue.  For all they know they could be walking around with abnormal cells...or worse! 

Did you know:

40% of women are not having regular Pap Smears.
90% of women who die from cervical cancer in Australia will be women who have not had their Pap Smears regularly. 

These figures could be so much lower and it is very alarming to think how high they are considering we have these tests so readily available in Australia.  

Don't be ignorant and think it won't happen to you!!  Ensure you have regular checks.. they could save your life.  









3 comments:

  1. Well said Chelsea all U can do is spread the word if people don't listen then its their problem and unfortunately its not only them who suffer its all their friends and family too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea I have this constant fight with my girlfriends, it takes just 15 minutes from your day and can save your life. Those figures speak for themselves and with your help and the dedication of ACCF I hope we can make positive change to Australian women!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog and first I want to wish you all the best! You are so strong and I am so happy that you are back to your studies!
    I also really appreciate that you are trying to educate young women to get their PAP tests and other preventive care. As someone who has battled dysplasia on and off, but now am a mother of three beautiful children, I can say from experience that it is so important to just GET IT DONE!
    I'll be thinking of you as you fly past all the big medical milestones and get back to your promising life.

    ReplyDelete